Twitter was founded on March 21, 2006 and has went on to change the world. From being the quickest form of breaking news to helping us stay better connected, it’s been at the forefront of the social media revolution.
To celebrate its 8th birthday today, Mashable uploaded a video illustrating the short yet vibrant history.
Here are just a few major highlights from over the years:
- February 2006 – Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone, Noah Glass and Evan Williams talk about using text messages to share updates with a group of people
- March 2007 – Twitter gets big attention at SXSW, jumps from 20,000 tweets per day to 60,000
- 2008 – Tweets explode to 100 million per quarter, up from around 400,000 tweets per quarter in 2007
- January 2010 – The first tweet is sent from space via the International Space Station
- September 2011 – Twitter announces it has 100 million active users
- November 2013 – The social network launches its IPO, currently trading around $50 per share
- February 2014 – Twitter hits 240 million active users, expects revenue to surpass $1 billion in 2014
Yesterday, Twitter launched a tool to help you easily find your first tweet.
How long have you been using Twitter?