An eye doctor in the US has shared the startling photos of a patient’s eye to raise consciousness of the perils of sleeping in contact lenses.
A Vita Eye Clinic doctor shared the images displaying the patient who had formulated an ulcer and cautioned that if left untreated it could have resulted in blindness. The post stated: “‘I sleep in my contacts all the time and I’ve never had a problem.’ As an eye doctor, I literally hear this daily. The pictures below show a referred case from the local urgent care, a subsequently cultured pseudomonas ulcer, and are the direct result of sleeping in contact lenses. Pseudomonas (bacteria) is an important cause of ocular morbidity and its opportunistic characteristics quickly lead to permanent blindness. This will be the fourth case of cultured pseudomonas that I’ve treated in my clinic.
“The bacteria explosively eats away at the patients cornea in a matter of days leaving a soupy, white necrosis (dead tissue) in its wake. I was able to start this patient on fortified antibiotic drops around the clock and recently steroids to reduce permanent scarring. While this patient’s eye continues to drastically improve from baseline, she will very likely exhibit some form of residual vision loss even after treatment. To be very clear, I don’t ever recommend sleeping in any brand of contact lenses. The risks outweigh the benefits every time. It takes seconds to remove your contacts but a potential lifetime of irreversible damage if you choose to leave them in.
“People need to see these images and remind themselves/family/friends to also be aware of contact lens misuse.” The doc goes on to note that eye’s green-color is a result of a dye used to investigate the issue, which ‘pools in areas of corneal compromise’, so the ulcer in this case. The physician added that this did not ‘take years’ to develop but actually formed in ‘about 36 hours’ because of the strain of bacteria related.
YOU MAY LIKE:
Bye, Bye Eye Doctors: Test Your Vision At Home, Save Money, Save Time
Florida Doctor Removes Woman’s ‘Tumor,’ Turns Out To Be Healthy Kidney