Twitter is celebrating this year with a look back at everything big that happened on the social network. Titled “2012 Year on Twitter,” the site has six different categories: Golden Tweets, Pulse of the planet, Only on Twitter, Trends, New voices, and Your year on Twitter.
Under Golden Tweets, we get to see the five most popular tweets of 2012. Here they are:
Four more years. twitter.com/BarackObama/st…
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) November 7, 2012
RIP Avalanna. i love you
— Justin Bieber (@justinbieber) September 26, 2012
Fuck it NFL.. Fine me and use the money to pay the regular refs.
— TJ Lang (@TJLang70) September 25, 2012
29 gold, 17 silver, 19 bronze – We finished 3rd in medal table after most successful Olympics for 104 years #OurGreatestTeam RT your support
— Team GB (@TeamGB) August 12, 2012
— 山寺宏一 (@yamachanoha) June 17, 2012
Pulse of the planet documents the biggest conversations around the biggest events on Twitter. Here are a few:
- London 2012
- US Election
- Superstorm Sandy
- MTV Video Music Awards
- Super Bowl
- Euro 2012
- The passing of Whitney Houston
Only on Twitter is defined as “moments of serendipity and just plain awesomeness.” The page covers quite a few events and here are some worth mentioning:
- Curiosity rover descending on Mars.
- Space shuttle Endeavour being transferred to its new home in Los Angeles.
- Director James Cameron tweeting from 35,755 feet beneath the sea.
- Neil Young joins Twitter and follows up with a Q&A.
- Tracy Morgan pretends to be passed out on stage at the Emmys, Jimmy Kimmel tricks people into tuning in.
- Hot Pockets donates hundreds of coupons to Newark, New Jersey Mayor Cory Booker to hand out to Sandy victims.
Trends looks at the top trends of 2012. Here are the number one trends in nine different categories:
- Conversation starters – #nowplaying
- Politics – #tcot
- Sports – #nfl
- TV – Family Guy
- Movies – Think Like A Man
- Music – Rick Ross
- Food – IHOP
- Tech – AT&T
- Countries – #Syria
New voices shares the biggest names to join Twitter in 2012. Here are the top people in seven different categories:
- TV – Steve Carell (@SteveCarell)
- News – Mike Greenberg (@Espngreeny)
- Doing good – Chelsea Clinton (@ChelseaClinton)
- Music – Neil Young (@neilyoung)
- Sports – Pelé (@Pele)
- Human interest/religion – Pope Benedict XVI (@Pontifex)
- Politics – Senator Dianne Feinstein (@SenFeinstein)
With your Year on Twitter account, you can see your top tweet, top follower, and what you tweeted about most in 2012. Twitter has teamed up with Vizify to create the informative infographic and to create one yourself, go here.