How secure are the apps you use on Facebook? How much personal data do they collect? What do they collect?
Though apps have become a definitive and foundational part of the social network experience, many users still ask themselves these questions when the permissions page pops up. The infographic below (courtesy of ZoneAlarm) shows the results of an in-depth study of 50 million Facebook users and 500,000 Facebook apps that attempted to answer these daunting questions. The results reflected prove somewhat troubling:
- 69% of Facebook apps know your e-mail address.
- 30% of them know your birthday.
- 10% of them know your hobbies and interests.
- 10% of them know your location.
- The Sims Social, boasts over 14.4 million active monthly users and actually has one of the highest privacy scores among popular apps.
- SoundCloud has a disturbingly low privacy score.
The data is all below in this interesting infographic. Check it out, and see how well-guarded your information is (or isn’t).