Don’t Suck At Facebook #377: Don’t Amway It Up


Google+

In today’s Social News Daily installment on how to not suck at Facebook accidentally, we’re tackling another obvious, glaring issue with Facebook use — one that is clearly still a hard balance to strike for Facebook using entrepreneurs.

Yes, we’re talking marketing and interests, specifically content and multi-level marketing. Facebook is a dynamic mashup of your professional and personal lives, and use of Facebook with your “work hat” on is always sticky.

Businesses in particular will encourage you to market to your friends via Facebook, using status updates at selectively intrusive intervals to hawk your product or boost pageviews, or generally promote their own interests via your Facebook page.

And I get it! Content is my jam, man. I too benefit from exposure on Facebook — which is why I try to minimize my use of Facebook for work purposes.

Friends and family members want to support you and want to see you succeed. But if your timeline is a constant stream of promotions for your jewelry business, your weight-loss business, your shitty blog, or another me me me venture with limited appeal, they’re gonna hide you, man.

Part of successful use of social media is curation. And even if you’re super invested in fitness, style, or writing, you can only use max 10 percent of your social content publishing for that purpose. The other 90 percent has to be curation and engagement — or you, my friend, will tap out your audience.

I don’t know what the number of peak Beachbody posts is, but I suspect it’s very, very low.

//

You know what people want least when they socialize online? Questions about what their excuse is — dude, I’m just here to brag on my new Flappy Bird score. I don’t need your value judgments, okay?

Do you think marketers and content publishers suck at Facebook? Have you axed friends for repeatedly trying to sell you shit?


Kim LaCapria

Kim LaCapria is a social media enthusiast, long-time Inquisitr.com writer and beauty and lifestyle industry expert. She covers a wide range of social media topics, with a particular interest in style-related apps and services. When not working, Kim can be found on Facebook and Pinterest, skating, and sneaking off to Spa Castle.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.