YouTube is a major platform where many brands hope to “go viral,” and according to new research, videos from brands are viewed 10x less than user-generated videos.
Video analytics company Octoly analyzed 286 different brands, and measured the total number of views for brand and user-generated videos since the beginning of YouTube.
Here is what it found:
- The average brand received 25 million total views while earned media (user-generated content) came in at 300 million views.
- The average brand had 260 videos, compared to 35,000 videos from earned media.
Combing owned (brands) and earned media, here are the top eight brands on YouTube:
- Call of Duty – 9.3 billion views
- LEGO – 8 billion views
- Apple – 4.2 billion views
- Barbie – 3.6 billion views
- BMW – 2.8 billion views
- Coca-Cola – 1.4 billion views
YouTube sees over one billion unique visitors every month, and according to Octoly, one million people make money from the video site.