Spotify has become more of a social network since completely rolling out the ability to follow others back in March, and its follow button is now embeddable.
The new follow button is available to all users, and here are some example use cases from Spotify:
- Artists can use Follow buttons to bring fans to their profiles
- Music labels can promote their artist profiles
- Promoters can help publicize future events
- Fans can promote their favourite artists
- Bloggers and publishers can grow their following on Spotify
Here is how to create your own follow button:
- Visit the widget page.
- Go to your user profile in Spotify, right-click your name and select “Copy Spotify URI.”
- Paste your unique code in the appropriate box on the widget page.
- Adjust the layout to fit your site, and check the box if you want to show your follower count.
- Copy the HTML code, and get embedding!
When someone clicks the follow button, if they are not currently logged into Spotify, a prompt will appear to login, and if they do not have an account, they can easily create one using Facebook.
Once someone has followed you on Spotify, if they scroll over top of the button, it will change red with the text “Unfollow,” giving the option in case they ever change their mind.