A new Doctor is in.
When the BBC announced Sunday that Peter Capaldi will be the 12th incarnation of Doctor Who, social went balls crazy. Social media records were set not just across the pond, but here in America, showing the long-running program’s huge influence on the sci-fi genre worldwide.
- The Doctor Who live special was the No. 1 program on social media Sunday.
- Six out of 10 trending topics on Twitter were related to Doctor Who.
- The official Doctor Who Tumblr raked in 11.84 million views, with 3 million related reblogs from fans just on Sunday.
- In the U.K., the announcement saw 542,000 tweets and an average of 9,000 tweets per minute.
- That average jumped to 22,081 per minute when Peter Capaldi was announced.
What do you think of Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor Who? Are you going to miss Matt Smith too much? Now that we think of it, who was your favorite Doctor thus far?