YouTube celebrates its eighth birthday on February 14, 2013, and the UK-based production company Shorty Media decided to celebrate by putting together an interesting infographic that chronicles the history of the world’s no. 1 video-sharing resource.
“A Brief History of YouTube” presents a timeline of the site’s past eight years, showing its growth from nothing to over four billion views each and every day. The infographic touches on YouTube’s major milestones, like:
- The first video uploaded (April 2005)
- Google’s acquisition (October 2006)
- One billion daily views (October 2009)
- Two billion daily views (May 2010)
- Three billion daily views (May 2011)
- Four billion daily views (January 2012)
- True View ads launch (December 2010)
Today, YouTube boasts over 800 million monthly unique visitors, 72 hours of video uploaded each minute, and over four billion hours of video watched each month.
Check out the infographic below and let us know what you think. How long will it take YouTube to reach its next major milestone?
Author: Dusten Carlson
Dusten has written for web and print and currently spends his time working on his upcoming graphic novel. He is also almost 30 and still has all of his hair.