Put Down The Sushi: CDC Warns Of Infected Salmon

Featured image for Put Down The Sushi: CDC Warns Of Infected Salmon

Hey, all you sushi lovers. A new warning from CDC will make you drop your chopsticks. A dangerous discovery was made involving Alaskan caught salmon. Testing showed that the majority of these fish were infected with a Japanese Tapeworm.

The Japanese tapeworm is parasite that can infect humans when ingested in objects, such as raw fish. Diphyllobothrium nihonkaiense, as it is scientifically known, is said to be responsible for thousands of cases of human infection.

So, what has caused this massive outbreak?

The CDC writes:

“Diphyllobothriosis is reemerging because of global importation and increased popularity of eating raw fish. We detected Diphyllobothrium nihonkaiense plerocercoids in the musculature of wild pink salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) from Alaska, USA. Therefore, salmon from the American and Asian Pacific coasts and elsewhere pose potential dangers for persons who eat these fish raw.”

Basically, this means if the fish hasn’t been frozen before arriving to your plate, it could be infected. Medical professionals explain that the popular sushi trend could lead to infections in places that usually do not have this issue, like the United States.

The CDC concluded their warning with this information:

For more effective control of this human foodborne parasite, detection of the sources of human infection (i.e., host associations), and critical revision of the current knowledge of the distribution and transmission patterns of individual human-infecting tapeworms are needed.

You might also enjoy:

Crew Catches Salmon With IPhone [Video]

Sushi Restaurant Takes #FoodPorn Literally And Its Hilarious

Author: Meagan Freeman


Leave a Reply