Videos can be a highly beneficial marketing tool, according to a new study that found 73 percent of U.S. adults are more likely to purchase a product or service after watching a related video.
Online video creation service Animoto surveyed 1,000 U.S. adults from December 26 to December 30, 2013.
Here’s what it found:
- 79 percent said it was helpful to watch a video before making a purchase
- 68 percent found it helpful to watch a video more than once before making a purchase
- 95 percent said videos were helpful while researching a product or service
- 77 percent think brands who create online videos are more engaged with their customers
- 73 percent think brands who create online videos are also more likely to gain repeat customers
- 71 percent feel that they’re left with a positive impression after watching a brand’s video
65 percent who watched brand videos viewed the company as an expert, and 58 percent believe brands who create their own videos are more trustworthy.
Stepping away from the marketing benefits, here were some other miscellaneous stats:
- 94 percent watched at least one video in an average week
- 76 percent of smartphones users watched videos at least once per week
- 40 percent of 18 to 24-year-olds watched videos over 10 times per week
- 94 percent are likely to share a funny video
- 91 percent are likely to share a heartwarming video
- 89 percent are likely to share an educational video
- 86 percent are likely to share a video with an incentive such as a discount or promotion
- 85 percent are likely to share a video if it is helpful in providing information for a purchase decision
- 80 percent are likely to share a video if it has a “share” button at the end
From Animoto CEO Brad Jefferson:
“The business benefits of using video to increase discovery, traffic, engagement and conversion are widely documented, but we were curious about whether consumers actually find business videos helpful. The data shows that there’s a real power in business videos to help people make confident shopping decisions.”
To learn more about the impact of online video, you can check out the infographic below.
Author: Mike Stenger
Lover of technology, Mike often makes jokes that nobody laughs at.